Black Mold – What You Need To Know
Mold tends to grow in areas with warm temperatures and adequate moisture levels. One of the most feared types of mold is Black Mold. Even the name is more than enough to make a homeowner cringe in fear.
How to Identify Black Mold
Molds come in a variety of shapes, colors and textures. This fungus often appears slimy, and blackish green or even a grayish coloration. They tend to surface in particular areas such as your attic, basement, around plumbing areas. More often than not you can determine the location by having regular check ups or inspections of your home. A lot of times, homeowners don’t realize that they have mold or black mold until they notice a must odor or mildew smell.
The scent can pass through ducts or ventilation systems to reach you in other areas of you home. Sometimes, if it is bad enough, you can smell it from far away, even if you don’t have a ventilation system.
Why is Black Mold Bad?
Black mold can have adverse effects on both the structure of your home as well as for the health of your family and pets. Once the fungus of black mold is inhaled, ingested or you are exposed to it in any way you can develop the following symptoms:
- Trouble with breathing and other respiratory problems
- Coughing (can be severe to the point you cough up blood)
- Headaches and tiredness
- Nausea and diarrhea
- Red and itchy eyes, nose and mouth
It can easily eat away at the roof of you home, damaging the structure and making it weaker. If it is bad enough, you may have a lot of premature replacement costs on your hand. For other areas such as around the bathroom, walls and ducts, they will weaken and deteriorate the materials until it is not able to function properly.
At Mold Marines, we highly recommended that you call a mold remediation specialist as soon as possible. They can take a proper look and determine the level of damage. Furthermore, for health reasons, you should always wear clothing that covers your entire body. You can also consider wearing a mask so that you don’t inhale the toxic scent. If you have an infestation, we recommend to stay elsewhere until the problem is resolved and your home is mold-free. Check out this article if you want to know more about removing mold from you home.